Thursday, May 04, 2006

Paddle Design and Sizing

Some random thoughts about paddles and common beliefs
1. Greenland paddle being easier on body- Could it be that because the paddle has less grip on the water that it provides less resistance? In order to keep it gripping instead of slipping you must apply less force. Stiffness is not a positive attribute in this situation.
2.Curve of blade-The spoon of the blade have more impact on the ability to slice than the curve. The curve affects the direction that the pressure is forced toward. More Curve =more pressure=more grip. Slice is more inhibited by the spline on the back of the Shuna than the smooth back of the Ikelos/Cyprus. 3. Shaft Diameter-Although I think Jon's analysis is correct I would suggest that one would do well to consider that concentrating on lightening ones grip on the shaft would coax more force coming from the Torso than the arms and I think this process would benefit the arms/shoulders as well.
4.Paddle sizing-I checked both the Epic and Werner sizing applications and while I appreciate the effort, anytime one uses overall height as a factor I think it should be suspect. There is a more effective way to determine correct paddle length IMHO, that uses your height while in your boat. The considerations of this method are; that there is no reason to put any more of the paddle in the water than is necessary, the higher the angle the more efficient the stroke and that the elbows should not bend more than 90 degrees. The path of the blade then is a diagonal to the boat, thereby gripping the water while keeping the stroke length short. I made a short video that shows the method at http://www.secondwindsports.net/Key%20Elements.htm
5. Paddle weight has more effect on muscle fatigue and connective tissue damage than blade design or shape when the stroke is performed efficiently using torso rotation. Blame your stroke not your paddle.
6.Cranked shaft-I was never a big fan as I always felt that the spacing of the bends was never wide enough, but I found, much to my surprise that the AT shaft was very easy to adjust to.

1 comment:

tanaz said...

Hi, why have you stopped giving tips on techniques. Also, do your tips benefit race kayakers? I'm really new at sea kayaking and would like some balancing techniques.
Would really appreciate any tips you're willing to share.
Thanks.